Jon Elson

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Another poster mentioned driving his drill press from a Variable Speed
Drive (VFD) to slow things down to a speed suitable for tapping. I'd
like to look into this, but don't know which makes and models of VFD are
suitable. When I search on "variable speed driver", I get a flood of
large industrial units that far exceed the needs of an ordinary drill
press. So, what makes and models should I look into? TIA

First, your drill press has to have a 3-phase motor. VFD's only work
with 3-phase motors.

AC tech, Yaskawa, Magnetek, Toshiba, Hitachi, Allen-Bradley, ......
all make small VFDs. Most over 1 HP are listed as requiring 3-phase
power, but they really don't. A 50% derating is a good idea, ie. use
a 1 HP unit to run a 1/2 Hp motor from single-phase power.

Jon