On 2005-06-14 said:
Newsgroups: alt.energy.homepower,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.
woodworking
I am posting this subject in three different groups to hopefully
get a good cross section of ideas. I apologize ahead of time if
this offends anyone.
When one considers a workshop with metal and wood working
capabilities, what tradeoffs have you made to have a working shop
in an alternate homepower environment where every amp is precious?
Obviously hand nonpowered tools take on a special importance.
Cordless tools come to mind but which ones and what batteries?
When considerng stationary tools like drills, lathes, mills, saws,
grinders, etc., which ones fit best in an environment where one is
off grid?
Special operations like welding and using air compressors would
seem to need consideration because of their unique requirements.
I would be interested in hearing how others have approached this
situation and what implementations they have adopted.
Thanks for any suggestions or comments that you can offer.
TMT

My shop contains a 1HP air compressor (real, 1970's DeVilbiss), Miller
135amp 120volt MIG welder, metal lathe, drill press, radial-arm saw,
small table saw, assorted powered hand tools.

Because of all the motors, I chose a Trace sinewave inverter, 4KW to
cover starting surges (SW4024). Battery is 550 amp-hour, 24 volt,
T-105 golf cart, 3 parallel strings of 4 each. 1 KW of PV panels (16
Solarex 64 watt). System is in its 6th year of operation, supplying
household and work needs.

I work alone, so machines are run singly. Duty cycle is low; so is
energy consumption. I have yet to need to run a generator to cover
my working load, though I do use it to maintain the battery in our
rare cloudy weather, then avoiding power-intensive work.

When the shop was under construction, power initially was from the
generator. Most of the time is just sat, thrashing at no load, being
totally inefficient. Later construction was powered by the solar
system, blessedly silently recharging itself in between power draws.

When I have production welding, sand blasting, or intensive use of an
air-powered die grinder, I will probably have to use the generator,
passing power through the inverter and maintaining the battery
charge.

Tom Willmon
near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered