AlexW

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:43:39 +0100, AlexW wrote:

I have a 6KW multi-fuel stove with ordinary multifuel liner. I am having
some work doing on the front of the house and I thought it might be
time to ensure that the stove has the correct amount of air supply
(according to the regs that is - its a draughty old cottage so
pragmatically...).

Table 2.1 in Part J says...

"Other appliance, such as a stove, cooker or
boiler, with no flue draught stabiliser."

needs

"A permanent air entry opening or openings with a total free area of at
least 550mm2 per kW of appliance rated output above 5kW."

This is 5.5cm2 in my case ... am I getting this right as it seems miniscule?

This is plausible. For a gas appliance the figure would be 4.5cm2 per kW
in excess of 7kW. This first 5 or 7 kW is known as adventitious air it
is the ventilation you'll get (somehow) even if you draught proof to very
high standard.

Thanks Ed, I think I am happy with my interpretation of this now, as it
does indeed sound roughly in line with Gas.

I doubt I ever get to the stoves max. output of 6kw as its a secondary
source of heat and given the draughty nature of my house I think finding
the extra 5.5cm2 might not be worth it, just to tick the box!

Cheers,

Alex.