John_ZIZinvalid

On 14 Jun 2005 12:50:40 -0700, wrote:

I wanted to make a minor change to the electricity arrangements in my
garage.

Fortunately it has it's own distribution box with ELCB and MCBs. It can
take 5 units on a DIN rail.

The box is the usual sort of proper housing, with a good IP rating and
is clearly the right sort of item for the job, but I see that when it
was wired up, there appeared to be no built-in terminal blocks. The
common connections for earths and neutrals were all achieved by means
of standard nylon barrier strips.

Is this normal practice ?

Yes. Very common.

I'd be quite happy swapping them for the correct item, but upon
trawling through the CPC catalogue, I can't see the sort of thing that
I've encountered supplied with the distribution boxes I've bought in
the past.

You know the sort of thing, half a dozen terminals in a single row, all
connected together. You have one for the neutral and another for the
earth.

Where can they be obtained on their own ?

You can make them up with suitable sized chock-block connectors, as
in use one side as a common bus bar made up of suitable size insulated
wire, while the other side of the chock-block is for connecting to the
load.