Harold and Susan Vordos

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

snip-

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the shark saw of which you speak,

so I
don't have an opinion, but I can't imagine you couldn't run a die

grinder,
at least intermittently, with a 2 horse compressor. Frankly, I would
think that your choices begin with a 2 horse compressor, and get more
reasonable as they approach a 5 horse, so you're likely on the right

track.
Perhaps someone with a 2 horse could chime in and relate their

experiences.

Sorry, forgot the link. This is the 2 hp compressor I was looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4388671359

I've just had a nasty thought about it though. The seller says it has a
2850 rpm 2 hp motor. Is there any chance a 1 hp 1425 rpm motor could
have been replaced with a 2850 rpm 2 hp motor to increase the output?
I've never seen a compressor with a 2850 rpm motor before. Apparently
this machine is 2 cylinder and each cylinder is 2" bore by 2" stroke.
Also the receiver looks a little rusty, but the machine is cheap. Might
want to get a hydro test on it?

You certainly have a good point. I looked to see if the driven pulley was
evident in the picture, and it isn't. Makes one think it very well could
have been replaced with a smaller one, or it has, indeed, had a faster motor
installed. I have no idea how you would know unless you could find a like
compressor, or literature pertaining to it.

A hydro would probably be a good idea for any pressure vessel that is old,
although I'm not following my own thoughts. I have never pressure tested my
tank, and it's over 35 years old now. Shame on me! They are known to
fail catastrophically, although not routinely.

I'll think about the big Broomwade compressor. I have no problem with a
5 kW welding set in our workshop, so I might get away with a 10 hp
compressor. It would have to have a small receiver though. Will think it
over. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry...

Finding the appropriate motor would be my only concern under that
circumstance. You'd never regret having the large compressor, of that I'm
quite sure.

By the way, the saws are made by www.cengar.co.uk and are cheap because
the fire service are selling loads. They need 5 3/4 cfm at 75-90 psi.

Best wishes,

Chris

Armed with that information, I can't imagine a 2 horse wouldn't power it
well, although the compressor may have to work almost full time. My 5
horse is rated @ 19+ CFM @ 175 PSI. Assuming it would produce 2/5 of the
output mine does, it would be well within specs. Still, overall, you'd be
happier with the larger head, long term. Besides, if you like to restore
old things, you'd really enjoy a blast cabinet. It's one of the better
ways to remove rust or old paint. I use mine routinely for such things.
I've owned a blast cabinet for something like 35 years and wouldn't be
without one. I use either glass beads, or aluminum oxide, each of which
does an outstanding job, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Nice looking saw, by the way. Very much like the Milwaukee Sawzall, only
it's electric instead of air.

Harold