Harold and Susan Vordos

"William" wrote in message
news:gRDre.49036$x96.9997@attbi_s72...

"Pete C." wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

snip----

That's how everything used to be and I believe both the wild leg and
open delta configurations were primarily used as a way to save
transformer costs.

Regardless of reason, machine shops are typically provided with this
service. The higher voltage is very desirable, and in some cases

mandatory.
I question your logic about saving transformer costs if individual

machines
would require buck/boost transformers. Between the area required to

store
them, and the increased cost of labor for installing them, seems to me

it's
a terrible waste of money when it can be dealt with by installing the

delta
system instead of the wye.

It's the power co that saves on the transformers, not you. You get to
supply the buck/boost transformers if you want them! Also the buck/boost
transformers are on your side it the meter so you get to pay to keep them
warm ( this is not as bad as keeping the big ones hot though)

William....

Actually, in this instance, I paid for the transformers as a part of the
cost of having the service installed. It had nothing to do with my decision
to use a delta service, however.

Strangely, in Utah, my second service, which was three phase delta to our
house, the power company started off playing hardball with me. They said
the cost would be prohibitive, if they would supply it, but they wouldn't.
Having already been through something similar with them once before, I very
calmly explained to the clerk that if I didn't get satisfaction, my next
stop would be the public services commission, where I'd file a complaint
against the company. At that time (and perhaps still) they were a monopoly,
and were bound to provide that which the customer needed.
Interestingly, it suddenly went from "you can't have it, but it would be
expensive if you could" to "no problem, and we can probably provide it free
of charge, providing you sign a contract that guarantees a specific amount
of use". It ended up costing us nothing to have it installed. It was
also 3 phase delta, 240 volts. They had to install two poles, and,
naturally, three transformers. It was not an open delta.

Harold