William

"Pete C." wrote in message

If you've got individual 50KW loads you may well be big enough to have
benefited from 480V service.

Again, a judgment call. I have one device with that load. Why would I
pay for 480 service, add an additional panel, then transform for

everything
else? Personally, I think I made some excellent choices. Everything I

have
runs as it should, and I haven't filled the shop with unnecessary
transformers. Idling current alone would have been expensive in the long
haul had I chosen that path. I have only one machine that *requires* 480
volts, a German made universal cylindrical grinder, which cannot be

strapped
for 240 volts, or anything within reason. The only time the

transformer
will be energized is when I use the machine. There will be no idling
consumption otherwise, so I won't be paying for making heat. Regardless

of
your opinion, I feel I've done a damned good job of addressing the

problems
at hand. Your bias against delta service seems to be a much greater
stumbling block for you than my choices are for me. Very strange, Pete.
However, I think if you visited my shop and observed how nicely it all has
come together, I think you might find yourself agreeing that I did the

right
thing. :-)

Well since you are already running a separate service for the single phase,
the 480 would have been the best for you. You don't need any transformers
for the 480 service and you haven't mentioned any 3 phase equipment that
requires 240 volts only. Also if you really have 75 amps of florescent
lights (That's TONS of amps for lighting. Do you use sun glasses in side??
:-) you could have run all that from a 20 amp 277 breaker if you had a 480
wye setup! Much cheaper for the wire on the 50kw load on the furnace and
smaller contactors and stuff on all other wires too....

William....

Harold