Gunner

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:24:43 -0500, "Grady" wrote:

I thought a stock VW engine that vintage was like 40 hp? At any rate, that
would be alot of hp for a cart. But, the problem would be weight. I think he
should be considering a dune buggy type vehicle, and not a true go kart. We
used to race go karts, and the upper class guys with money raced 250 cc
motorcycle engines with transmissions on them. These things would fly!

Indeed..sand rail/dunebuggy/off roader would be my choice. Transaxel
gearing would be really funky for small go-kart tires.

http://www.atvutah.com/northern/images/sand_rail.jpg
http://www.adamlyon.com/photoalbums/...pismo/02_G.jpg

and so forth. Lots of them in my neck of the woods. Build from scratch
or from kit if your welding skills are limited. Some of them are
Corvair powered, most are VWs.

Gunner

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 14 Jun 2005 19:47:50 -0700,
wrote:
Greetings all,
I recently acquired a 67 Type I VW engine for free, and just
happened to be planning on building a off road go kart as well.
Now, how feasable is it to use an engine with close to 100 hp for a go
kart? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How sure are you that that engine has "close to 100 hp"? I seem to
recall that they were well under that, stock.

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown