Harold and Susan Vordos

"Pete C." wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

snip---

To the best of my knowledge, I chose the right service for my needs.
Considering I have nothing that is wired for 208, nor can any of it be
rewired to accommodate that voltage, I sure as hell didn't want it in

the
shop. If industry today is headed that direction, and machine tools

are
so wired, that's a whole different situation, and I'd have no quarrel

with
the choice. With the machines I have, that wasn't one of the options,

and
I sure as hell wasn't going to spring for transformers that weren't
necessary, not when all I had to do is request the right service.

It's likely that the potential issues diminish as the equipment gets
newer.

I certainly get that idea-----even PUD was somewhat surprised that I wanted
the delta service.

Stepping up for the one problem grinder makes sense, just as adding
boost transformers makes sense if it's only a machine or two that need
them.

I don't agree on the boost transformers, not when I'm as pleased as I am to
have the service I have. As I stated, I don't consider buying boost
transformers to be a bargain, nor would I like feeding them on a continual
basis, in spite of the fact that we pay only $.0445 kwh for our power. I
have yet to discover one thing about my service that displeases me, and I've
had 3 phase delta since 1967. One of us is nuts! :-)

Remember, I'm not biased against delta service, I'm biased against wild
leg delta service, two different things.

You keep saying that, as if there's other types. I've heard of a corner
grounded delta (but don't understand how it relates to voltage), but as far
as I know, they all have a wild leg if you shoot for 120V. Is there
something I don't know or understand? The moment you introduce the
neutral, seems to me you're bound to have only two phases that yield 120V
unless your wired wye.

Were I planning a new shop with the full list of equipment to be in it,
their specs, etc. I might well decide on a service configuration that
included delta service for the machines. I would just avoid a service
configuration that included a wild leg.

OK---fill me in, then. What type of service would it be? Strictly 240 V?
That's what I have now. I do *not* use my 3 phase for single phase
service*, although when I wire my mill permanently, I will have single phase
for the power feed and work light, but only there. I'll do that so I can
keep the wires away from the bottom of the machine. I have the box
overhead, almost directly over the motor on the mill. 12' ceiling. You
can do that when you have a 5 wire system. Everything else is strictly 3
wires, plus ground. Do you still have heartburn over my wiring?

*The same phases that constitute my A & C phases in the 3 phase panel feed
my single phase panel, although through separate lines and conduit, from the
pole. Want to see a pic?

Harold