Lee Hanken wrote:
We are building a front wall which is to have a window in it, and have
been thinking about which double-glazing company to go to for the window
or maybe to fit it ourselves. We have had trouble getting a quote from
some companies.

One company was perfectly fine, my Dad went to the showroom and gave
them the specifications and they looked up on their computer and gave a
price.

However, two door-to-door companies have said that they will only give a
quote if both home-owners are present. The latter sales representative
even said that it was the law that both should be present when the quote
is given. This sounds quite suspicious. I understand that to make a
contract to do the work would require both my Mum and Dad to be present.
Why, I wonder, should both have to be present before a quote can be
given? Is this really the law?

If a company has decent products at sensible prices, they'll advertise
in the usual way. Why would they emlpoy people at x per hour to tudge
up and down streets on the offchance?

Think about it, any product sold door to door is either a dud or
overpriced. Selling door to door adds significant costs.

Frankly I would not buy from cold callers on moral grounds. And
inviting strangers in off the street? Um, no.

NT