John Fields

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:21:21 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

The idea that water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C, without
some mention of pressure, has little meaning. Water can "boil"
at 0C too.

---
As John Popelish remarked, boiling is only possible if the medium in
which the boiling is occurring is a liquid, so if the water has turned
into ice at 0°C, sublimation is the mechanism which water molecules
will use to evaporate from their parent structure.

Since this a technical forum and we _do_ have ground rules, I believe
we generally agree that, unless otherwise specified, standard pressure
is defined as 760 millimeters of mercury and standard temperature is
defined as zero degrees celcius.

While the boiling point of water is dependent on pressure, the
freezing point, I believe, is not.

At least, not to a great extent. I don't have any data to support
that position, but I'd love to see some, if it's out there.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer