Dr. Polemic

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:12:33 -0500, John Fields wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:15:06 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

I knew a fellow one time who put together a nice little
experiment where he bolted everything together with nice shiny
nickel-cadmium plated screws.

---
Nickel-cadmium usually refers to the metals used in fabricating a
family of secondary cells used in redchargeable batteries, while
cadmium, by itself, was once used to plate mechanical fasteners.

Just one more inconsistency in his postings. I didn't even mention the nickel component
in his alleged plating because it, like gold, has a vapor pressure of about 10^-11 torr at
around 800 degrees, and thus won't boil at 20 degrees even in interstellar space.

But I think you're right. I've never heard of Nickel-cadmium plating of screws, but I
used to use cad plated hardware all the time.

It
has dropped out of favor and its use may now be prohibited for that
purpose due to its toxicity and effect on the environment.