Mike

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:20:26 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

I will not be coping the inside corners. I will be using a regular
miter cut.

Bear in mind that a "regular miter cut" for crown molding is not what
you may think it is if you've never done it before- you can't just lay
it flat and cut a 45" angle. You need a compund miter saw, and it
won't be as good as coping in any case.

Actually you don't need a compound saw.
As long as your crown is not too big for your mitre saw you can cut it
with the blade straight up and down. You can even cut it with a hand
mitre box if you have the time.
IMHO the easiest way to cut crown (inside corners or outside) is to
place it upside down on your miter saw with the crown laying at the
same angle as it will lay on the wall (except upside down), turn your
saw to a 45 and cut. A left or right outside cut will do the outside
corners and a left or right inside cut for your copes depending on
which direction you are running. Once you get used to cutting crown
this way, you won't need to lean that saw over very often.
Now if the crown is too large for the mitre saw then I will lay it
down and use the compound but I don't have to do that unless the crown
is larger than about 6".

Mike O.