Doug Miller

In article , Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

So how does it qualify as "a nasty piece of gear"?

I have never heard of a table saw lurching up somebody's arm before.
I have never head of an arm being cut-off above the wrist on a table saw.

http://69.64.173.24/Accidents/search.htm
Search criteria: tool involved = tablesaw, accident type = needed medical
attention. Read the third one. I'm sure there are more.

Stupid careless people will always be stupid careless people.

True - but how does that reflect on the safety of their tools?

In their hands, a fork is dangerous.

So is a table saw.

A table saw has a limited amount of blade exposed unlike a RAS

Nonsense. A radial arm saw with proper guards has *less* blade exposed than a
table saw - on mine, unless I lift the guard above the work, the amount of
blade exposed is *zero*.

Don't even talk to me about work getting pinched between the table and
the blade.

When the conditions that cause work to be pinched between table and blade on a
RAS occur on a TS, the result is that the work is thrown back at the operator
at over a hundred miles an hour. I do not consider that to be a point in favor
of the table saw.

The guys who crosses-over a left hand to the right of the blade to hold
a small piece and run the blade with their right hand towards their arm.

Stupid. Very stupid. But not the fault of the tool.

I have seen these moves in real life.

I have stood there, aghast at the stupidity.....going WTF???

I hope that you have done more than just stand there watching, mute. If not,
shame on you.

BUT.. in a perfect world, where one safety-conscience operator who is
not careless and not stupid extolls the virtues of a RAS because that
has been HIS experience... that in itself, does not make my concerns
invalid.

Nonetheless, they *are* invalid. The tool is not, in and of itself, inherently
unsafe. That stupid people get hurt while using one is not an indictment of
the saw but of the dangers of stupidity.

In the hands of a stupid, careless moron, the RAS is an extremely
dangerous piece of ****. Period.

Right - but in the hands of a stupid, careless moron, *any* power tool is
dangerous.

Much more so than a TS.

Wrong.

Exactly the same argument as 1100cc crotch rockets being sold to 16-year
old kids.... The brakes are excellent, the horn works.... but don't try
to tell me that it is safe. Not when the safety aspect rests entirely on
the shoulders of the operator like in the case of a RAS.

SawStop aside, please explain how the safety aspect does *not* rest entirely
on the operator with a table saw. Or with a band saw. Or with any other tool,
for that matter.

--
Regards,