Jerry Martes

wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings all,
I recently acquired a 67 Type I VW engine for free, and just
happened to be planning on building a off road go kart as well.
Now, how feasable is it to use an engine with close to 100 hp for a go
kart? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, I am a welder, Aircraft mechanic and painter, and have a pretty
endless supply of tubing to use, especially chrom-moly.

Athos

That is a great idea. You could have alot of fun with what you build with
VW power.
I submit that a VW powered device wont look much like a Go Kart. But, as
you know, there are thousands and thousands of VW based Dune Buggies used to
power Off Road vehicles.
It is quite feasable to get 100 HP out of a rebuilt 1600 cc VW. But, it
wont be 1600 after you get it to put out 100 HP unless you "supercharge" it.
No matter how it is rebuilt so it'll put out to 100 HP, it sure wont be
inexpensive.

Jerry (who really likes the idea of VW for off road
vehicles)