Rex B

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am posting this subject in three different groups to hopefully get a
good cross section of ideas. I apologize ahead of time if this offends
anyone.

When one considers a workshop with metal and wood working capabilities,
what tradeoffs have you made to have a working shop in an alternate
homepower environment where every amp is precious?

I have also considered this. I love my machine tools, but I've always
dreamed of living off-grid. The compromise would be grid-connected to
have the power for the tools when needed.

Obviously hand nonpowered tools take on a special importance.

Or human-power supplementing electric. For example, lathe threading
done in low backgear can often be done as well or better with a
handcrank on the spindle.

Cordless tools come to mind but which ones and what batteries?

Any, recharged with dedicated solar panels.

When considerng stationary tools like drills, lathes, mills, saws,
grinders, etc., which ones fit best in an environment where one is off
grid?

Old lineshaft units, driven with water power if available.
Even an old-style windmill could be converted to turn a shaft.

You also evaluate the way you use your tools now. 90% of my lathe work
would fit in the evelope of the import 7x10 lathes, which draw about as
much power as a sewing machine.
With that in mind while looking at mills, I determined that most of
the things I wished to use a miller for would fit well within the
envelope of an Asian minimill. So far, I have not proven myself wrong.
So it may be that you could do most of what you need with smaller
equipment, retaining the bigger tools for the jobs that require them.

Special operations like welding and using air compressors would seem to
need consideration because of their unique requirements.

Welding - gas or small MIG/TIG

No way around the big amp draw of a compressor that I can think of.
Line-driven at night with the water power, with a big tank? Even if you
could not get to the desired pressure using alternative power, a
large-volume tank at, say 5- psi feeding a conventional compressor would
take some of the worst load off. The amp dra on starting might not be as
tough if it was fed with medium-pressure air.

I would be interested in hearing how others have approached this
situation and what implementations they have adopted.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments that you can offer.

TMT