Christopher Tidy

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
snip------

By the way, can anyone summarise briefly explain the advantage of a
two-stage compressor? Do you get better performance at higher pressures?

Best wishes,

Chris

Unless you have need for the higher pressures they generate, I don't

think

there are any other benefits. In my mind, it's another way to increase
storage capacity. Regardless of the size of the tank, you have more air
stored for use, so you can get more from a smaller tank. That means

you

can use air longer before the compressor kicks in, but that then becomes

the

limiting factor. At that point, you're limited to the capacity of the
compressor, the chief reason to not buy one that is undersized for your
needs.

I decided to pass on the small compressor, even though it was rather
nice. If it won't run a die grinder or Cengar saw, I won't find it too
useful. I'm not in any hurry so I'll look out for something which can
supply around 10 CFM, is nicely built and is on a trolley/can be fitted
to a trolley. We'll see what turns up.

I did also see a big twin cylinder BroomWade pump on eBay which I
thought I might be able to build into a decent compressor:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4388266578

I need to keep it fairly compact, which probably means a smaller air
receiver than average. I'll keep a look out and think it over.

Thanks for the advice!

Chris

I can't help but think you made the right decision, Chris. I started out
with a small compressor and grew to hate it the moment I put it to serious
use. In a sense, I was lucky. One fine day the reed valve started
leaking, providing the push I felt necessary to get me to purchase a serious
compressor. I've never regretted my decision. Even if you must use a
small receiver, the compressor may very well have the capacity to run your
choices directly. That's the most important feature, at least to me.

The one on ebay looks like it has some possibilities----although I'm not
familiar in the least with that particular machine. Strangely, Chris, it
bears a strange resemblance to the Quincy (at least in color). I noticed
it has unloading valves, a very good sign of a quality compressor.

I've done a little more research on the Broomwade compressor on eBay.
It's rated at 41 CFM (one site says 32 CFM) at 150 psi. It needs a 10 hp
motor so I think it's a bit big for me, especially as I only have a
single-phase supply. I had a thought about driving it from one of those
12 hp two-cylinder Petter diesel engines, but really I don't have the
space, and I don't want to noise either. Pity though because it looks nice.

I think Broomwade were one of the top makes in the UK until they were
taken over by CompAir. Not sure what they're like now though.

I've also spotted a 2 hp / 100 psi B.E.N. compressor on eBay. I believe
B.E.N. later became Broomwade. It probably has a 100 litre tank. Do you
think I would get reasonable performance from a die grinder and shark
saw with this? I know it's a project in itself, but like I said, I enjoy
restoring equipment.

Best wishes,

Chris