Robert Bonomi

In article . com,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am posting this subject in three different groups to hopefully get a
good cross section of ideas. I apologize ahead of time if this offends
anyone.

When one considers a workshop with metal and wood working capabilities,
what tradeoffs have you made to have a working shop in an alternate
homepower environment where every amp is precious?

Obviously hand nonpowered tools take on a special importance.

Cordless tools come to mind but which ones and what batteries?

cordless tools violate the 'every amp is precious' premise.

Charging batteries is *extremely* ineffcient.

When considerng stationary tools like drills, lathes, mills, saws,
grinders, etc., which ones fit best in an environment where one is off
grid?

PTO-driven ones. The 'drive' can come from nerly anything -- a water-wheel,
a steam-engine, a tread-mill, etc. Even an electric motor, in extreme
circumstance.

Special operations like welding and using air compressors would seem to
need consideration because of their unique requirements.

Welding -- gas, instead of electric arc.

Air compressor -- gasoline/deiesel engint, steam-powered.