TUGGER

thanks for all the help it ended up being a bad tester!!!!!!!!!
"w_tom" wrote in message
Appreciate what the test does. It can detect a defect but
cannot confirm a good circuit. It can report a problem but
does not provide sufficient information to say why a problem
exists. Confirming those tester readings with a digital
voltmeter can also provide numbers that will better target
reasons for the problem. Voltmeter taking measurements Hot
(black wire) to Neutral (white wire), Hot to ground (bare
copper), and ground to neutral. Readings taken both with no
load on the receptacle AND during a major load (ie. steam
iron) on that 'under test' receptacle.

With those numbers, others can better identify suspects.

An open neutral should have resulted in no appliance
operation which is why the tester report is seriously suspect.

Bill Topp wrote:
i did some small add on wiring in my home and decided to check with the
plug
in (3 light) tester to make sure it was done right...to my surprise it
told
me i had an open neutral..so i disconnected the circuit and started cking
other outlets through out the home and every outlet came up open
neutral??
the house is only 12 years old...can this be possible?? how would i begin
solve this problem?? thanks for all replies!!