Alan

Hi,

I've recently replaced the bearings on my Zanussi myself.
Assuming your model is similar to mine then yes, you need to take the
whole drum out and then split the outer drum leaving you with the inner
drum and the back half of the outer.

Removing the inner drum from the back outer drum is the hardest part.
Remove the pulley from the back and then screw a suitable screw/bolt
fully into the hole to protect the shaft/hole (I used an allen screw -
it was a strange thread). You can then either get someone to hold the
whole thing up by the outer drum or support the outer drum above the
ground on blocks so that you can knock the two apart. This was very
hard to do. Be careful not to damage the shaft.
Once apart, removing the inner bearing was also difficult because the
shaft was very rusty. Despite cleaning it very thoroughly, I couldn't
pull the bearing off (even using my trusty "octopus" - an ancient but
brilliant bearing puller - a top 5 tool in fact). Eventually, I smashed
the outer race with a hammer and then just cut through the inner race
with a grinderette to remove it.
I put the bearings into the outer drum first and used a big nut & bolt
with suitable sized washers to pull the bearings together tightly into
the drum. I then used a longer allen screw, washer and a big socket to
draw the shaft through the bearings by tightening the screw - hard to
describe but the socket fitted around the bearing housing and the end
of the shaft was drawn into the end of the socket. If this makes no
sense and you still need help let me know and I'll do a diagram. It was
remarkably easy.

When I picked up a bearing set from my local repair place they also
recommended a gasket for between the 2 halves of the outer drum. In the
end I decided the extra cost was probably worth it to save me having to
open it up again but a few weeks after, (when I had to open it up again
to remove a stone which had got jammed between the drums), I didn't
bother replacing it and it still sealed fine. YMMV.

Let us know how you get on.

Alan.

wrote:
Hi All,

I need to replace the bearing on my WDS1183W Zanussi Washer-dryer.
I've read a few posts about doing it, and I still think I'd like to
give it a shot!

Lots of people have said that the whole drum needs to be removed. Is
this something that is easy enough if taken systematically, or would it
require special tools/knowledge?

Then there are the bearings themselves - lots of people are saying that
you need special tools to remove them - although some have said you can
knock them out, if careful. What about putting the new ones back in -
do they need to be forced into place?

I'm usually pretty good with this type of thing, but a washing machine
is new territory, and I'm still deciding whether or not to give it a
go! Any advice appreciated. If I do go ahead I will probably do a
photo guide of the whole escapade.

Cheers,
Colin,