RichardS

"Lee Hanken" wrote in message
news:ae429f752b7cfcc68fee8de69136d109.28973@mygate .mailgate.org...
We are building a front wall which is to have a window in it, and have
been thinking about which double-glazing company to go to for the window
or maybe to fit it ourselves. We have had trouble getting a quote from
some companies.

One company was perfectly fine, my Dad went to the showroom and gave
them the specifications and they looked up on their computer and gave a
price.

However, two door-to-door companies have said that they will only give a
quote if both home-owners are present. The latter sales representative
even said that it was the law that both should be present when the quote
is given. This sounds quite suspicious. I understand that to make a
contract to do the work would require both my Mum and Dad to be present.
Why, I wonder, should both have to be present before a quote can be
given? Is this really the law?

It's absolute rubbish - a complete yarn spun to get both parties present so
that they can exercise their High Pressure Sales 101 training on you.

Unless, that is, they are insisting that the only way to pay for it is to
take out a finance agreement with them secured on the house...

If you really, really still want quotes from high pressure door-to-door or
national sellers, then arrange a time & say that both parties should be able
to be present.

Then, just make sure one of you is out when they actually call round, and
the other party needs to tell them that they only get one shot at this &
they need to leave a realistic quote for consideration.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk