Banty

In article , Kendall P. Bullen
says...

In article ,
(D. Gerasimatos) wrote:

Personally, I really like a Tudor next to a Spanish next to an Italianate
next to a Colonial next to a Craftsman. It's a lot more interesting than
4 models of houses with different elevations trying to look different
from each other by having their garages on opposite sides.

I'm with you...the 'different models' I've seen seem to be the same
thing with very small cosmetic differences or (as you say) rearrangings.
That's not (IMHO) variety...that's sameness. Dull. But hey, whatever.

Well, OK, but not all of us can commission custom homes. Especially smaller
homes.

But what you're describing is a fairly new development - right?

Remember those pictures of late '40s Levittown, New York? Rows of the same kind
of Cape Cods, different only in color, that were so often used in various news
pieces decrying the sameness of suburban life? I've seen a picture of the same
neighborhood now. What with decks, garages and other additions, dormers or full
second floors, and fifty years' worth of different siding choices and
landscaping growth, one has to look closely to notice that all the houses are
Capes of the same vintage.

Banty