David Hearn

antgel wrote:
Pete C wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:02:48 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

In my house, the previous occupant has done all sorts of terrible things with the electrics, the shower (9.5kW) fed with 2.5mm to name just one!

The lates bodge found was behind a wall cabinet. At one time, there used to
be a double mains socket, which has been removed complete with back box and
replaced with a standard round junction box. The hole has been gouged out to
allow it to be sunk. From this, a short spur to a new, lower position.

My requirement is to open the ring at this point and run another couple or
three of sockets. I know that crimps are the way to go, but tell me this:

1) Are these crimps the same blue ones as I use for auto electrical work?

I'd consider using those on solid core to be a bodge, however they're
crimped.

I'd only use ones specifically designed for solid core and crimped in
the recommended way.

Ok. I've read enough of this thread to feel nervous. I have crimped
some 1.5T&E with some blue crimps and a ratchet crimping tool. If these
crimps are not correct for the job, can someone point me to some that
are? I have never heard of mains-rated crimps.

Antony

Aren't blue crimps meant to be used on 2.5mm T&E. For 1.5mm T&E you're
meant to use red crimps.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ols/index.html