Andrew Mawson

"David Hearn" wrote in message
snip

I agree that in most case, you'll probably find that a standard

crimp
doesn't cover the oxidation issue - but I don't believe many other
common fixings (other than soldering) make much, if any, attempt at
doing his either. At least with crimps you have a better mechanical
joint than screws, practically all the external surface of the wire

is
in contact with the crimp - and I'd doubt the electrical joint was
significantly worse than a screw terminal. Based on that, a crimp

joint
seems better, or am I missing anything?

I was taught that a properly made crimp is actually a gas tight joint
at the points of contact, so if the wires were acceptably free of
oxide when crimped, they should remain so.(This is apparently true
also of a 'wire wrapped' joint previously used in telecoms and early
computers, where a wire is tightly wrapped round a square post to make
a connection.) Crimps used in low voltage applications where high
humidity is expected (external joint boxes for telephones for
instance) are filled with a vaseline like anti-oxidant water
repellant.

AWEM