nightjar

"Rick" wrote in message
There are things I know, or have found out
There are things I know I don't know - thankfully few
and things I don't know I don't know - aka experience

Its the last lot I need to take care of, I normally find a good book a
case of wine, and a few nights of noting on the TV deals with it just
fine.

Its just the way I am. I worked in a University Resarch dept, we would
do anyting that we could get a book for and read to learn how to do
it. We alos did stuff there was no books for, but most of the time it
was a long job to work out how. I prefer the book method.

Simply getting a few gash slates and practicing is probably the best method.
A book will probably tell you the right way up for a slate and to knock the
nail holes through from the underside, but it won't give you the feel for
how to hit the slate when making the holes, or when trimming the slate to
size. It probably also won't tell you that you will make the job ten times
easier if you only buy best quality Welsh slate.

Colin Bignell