Luke

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:07:30 -0700, tenplay wrote:

I have a large grassy weedy area that needs regular mowing. I went by
Sears last night and was floored with all the choices of mowers. Please
answer a few questions for me:

1. I am attracted to the self-propelled gas-powered models. What is
the advantage of a variable speed model over a single speed? The area
to mow is relatively flat with a couple of sizeable dips/depressions.

[snip]

More speed, more cutting/discharge power, but I haven't seen much
difference on the variable speed mowers I've owned which have only
been two speeds, but YMMV. I don't care for self-propelled mowers.
It's not very difficult and it's little enough exercise to push a
mower around a lawn once or a couple times a week, and self-propelled
is just something else to break, though it may be justified if one is
sickly or weak or the area to mow is exceedingly large. Again, YMMV.

3. Most had 21 inch cuts but a couple were 22 inches. It seems that
the 22 inch would do the work a little faster but may be less maneuverable.

Maneuverability would depend more on design than 1 inch difference in
cut. The 22 inch would obviously cut a larger swath than the 21, but
by only 1 inch, so not worth paying more for.

4. Most had regular size wheels but a couple had large back wheels.
Would the bumpy terrain benefit much from the larger back wheels? Any
other benefits?

[snip]

Manufacturers tout large back wheels as making the mower easier to
push and more maneuverable, but it ain't so according to Consumer
Reports (you may want to look up a recent mower review) and as far as
I'm concerned having had small and large rear wheel models. I find
large rear wheels a nuisance as they get in the way adjusting height.
Large wheels do nothing with bumpy terrain. Don't pay extra for them,
and I would avoid them.

You didn't ask, but I prefer a mulching mower, with available side
discharge. Mulching is good for the lawn, saves landfill space, and
saves the work of pushing around the weight of a bag of cut grass and
of constantly emptying the bag. Also, I find a mulching/side discharge
mower easier to maneuver.

--
Luke
"Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by
-- The Downing Street Memo, July 23, 2002
http://www.downingstreetmemo.com