BigWallop

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I need to replace the bearing on my WDS1183W Zanussi Washer-dryer.
I've read a few posts about doing it, and I still think I'd like to
give it a shot!

Lots of people have said that the whole drum needs to be removed. Is
this something that is easy enough if taken systematically, or would it
require special tools/knowledge?

Then there are the bearings themselves - lots of people are saying that
you need special tools to remove them - although some have said you can
knock them out, if careful. What about putting the new ones back in -
do they need to be forced into place?

I'm usually pretty good with this type of thing, but a washing machine
is new territory, and I'm still deciding whether or not to give it a
go! Any advice appreciated. If I do go ahead I will probably do a
photo guide of the whole escapade.

Cheers,
Colin,

This type of job is best done with a proper extraction tool, but these can
be hired for a few pennies so don't have to be something that will lie
around in your toolbox doing nothing for years.

An extraction tool looks sort of like an umbrella frame, only a lot more
robust. It has shaped legs which swivel on a central ring so they can fit
behind, or in front of, the bearing, ready to pull, or push, when the bolt
in the middle is turned with a spanner. Nothing you need to know degree
physics for, but it does make the job a hell of a lot easier than pounding
with a hammer and cold chisel. Especially on modern machines with nylon
drums.