Josh

David wrote:
Poly takes too long to dry, plus it stinks. Besides which, using it as
a sealer is inappropriate and unnecessary.

Here is what you SHOULD have done: Get yourself an HVLP and using a
smallish tip/needle combo, apply "dry" coats of water borne dye (or
alcohol based if you don't mind the lesser light fastness) to get a
blotch free result on your maple. Follow up with what ever floats your
boat for topcoats.

Dave

I'd definitely like an HVLP sprayer, but they're fairly expensive.
That'll be a down-the-road investment.

What do you mean by "dry" coats? Just really light coats? And what
dyes would you use? I've seen that Lee Valley, Workerworkers Supply,
etc. sell countless colors of analine dyes. I have to admit, I'm
somewhat intimidated by the thought of mixing my own stain colors from
primary colors of dye. Is it straightforward to do? And is it easy to
repeat?

Oh yeah, and what's "light fastness"?

Thanks.