DL

"Zimmer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm constructing a deck railing with 4"x4" posts, 2"x4" rails, and 1/2"
copper balusters. For reasons I won't go into, the spacing between the
posts is not equal for each section of railing (i.e., some distances
between posts are 44.25", while others are 46", etc.).

Aesthetically, is it more important to maintain the same O.C. spacing
between balusters for all sections of the railing (e.g., all balusters
are 5" O.C.) or is it more important to maintain equal baluster spacing
within a section of the railing (e.g., a 44 1/4" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.76" while a 32.25" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.41")

Thanks,
Dave

I would check with your local inspection office. Where I live, balluster
spacing can't be more than 4" OC.

The varying spans, between 44" and 46" it won't make that much visual
difference if you vary them. However, between 46" and 32" it might as you
stated the difference is over 1/3".

Depending on how you built the guard rails, the ballusters could maintain a
consistent space if they are attached around the outside of the guard rail
as it will look more consistent on the outside side of the guard rail.

I assume that the ballusters are attached between the posts, I would
probably vary to spacing as you suggested. Try to get the spacing as close
as possible as even 1/3" will be noticable, but don't get overly concerned
about it as most will never notice it.

BTW, what are you going to use to protect / finish the copper? Sounds like
a neat idea.

David