Dennis Shinn

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:14:24 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

.... if it's a new lathe and you're new to it make sure
that you've taken out the lash on the ways, cross slide and (if you use
it) the compound.

Fortunately I have a friend (of a friend) who's an accomplished
machinist who was kind enough to drop by the shop and give me a crash
course in turning hard stuff (harder than wood, that is -grin-). Turns
out I had way too much tool in contact with the work surface for the
machine. It seemed big when I bought it but I've since visited a
couple of shops that had some "real" lathes (hahaha). So, learned that
when turning a groove like I wanted, best to cut with a pointie tool
into something close then use the profile cutter to finish up.

None the less, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.