Ed

"tenplay" wrote

I have a large grassy weedy area that needs regular mowing. I went by
Sears last night and was floored with all the choices of mowers. Please
answer a few questions for me:

1. I am attracted to the self-propelled gas-powered models. What is the
advantage of a variable speed model over a single speed? The area to mow
is relatively flat with a couple of sizeable dips/depressions.

The single speed is just about right for most people. It's also a little
simpler in design making problems less likely.

2. Most of them had Briggs-Stratton motors. One had a Honda motor. The
ones I am interested in are 5 to 7 hp with most being 6.5 hp. Any
thoughts on make and motor size?

5 HP is usually more than you need for a walk behind self propelled mower.

3. Most had 21 inch cuts but a couple were 22 inches. It seems that the
22 inch would do the work a little faster but may be less maneuverable.

I don't think the average person would notice the difference.

4. Most had regular size wheels but a couple had large back wheels. Would
the bumpy terrain benefit much from the larger back wheels? Any other
benefits?

I don't like the plastic rear wheels and on some models at different height
adjustment the 'tires' actually rubbed againt the bolts on the frame.

5. One had a push-button starter while most started by pulling a
rope-starter. A couple said that they started faster and easier because
of a some kind of "hotter engine" technology.

They start easy but engines are rarely hot when you start them :-)

Guess those are my questions for now. They are all in the $250-400 price
range. Thanks for your advice/suggestions.

I have a 21" cut 6.25HP model with rear discharge. Bag or mulch. It is a
nice mower except for the plastic rear wheels. They rub at lower height
settings. I use it in places where the rider mower won't go.