Dan_Musicant

On 5 Jun 2005 07:56:59 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
: The general contractor who I had evaluate my house before I bid on it
: said I could save some money by doing my own floor plan. The house
: needs:
:
: 1. foundation analysis, evaluation, rebuild, repair
: 2. new roof
:
: ...the list goes on and on.
:
: Anyway, yesterday I started trying to work up my floor plan and it was
: frustrating to say the least. The house is about 40' x 30', two stories
: and 95 years old, and a bit weird.
:
:Is the GC that inspected the house the same one that's going to do the
:construction? I've never met a contractor who actively sought out
:amateur plans. There are so many areas that inexperience would lead to
:unfortunate decisions, particularly in a house that is "a bit weird".
:
:R

It was about 4 years ago, so I think I forgot. It was probably the
engineer who said he'd be happy enough if I did the floor plan. I can't
be sure. I seem to remember the GC saying that. Anyway, that engineer
was semi-retired at the time and I believe that he's actually retired
now and I'd have to use a different engineer. The GC may not want to do
the job anymore. He's doing windows nowadays and doesn't like the idea
of getting down and dirty doing foundation work. He's a friend and works
with a mutual friend and I'm told that he'd make an exception for me,
but I'm not sure. He's pretty good, or was anyway, and he told me he'd
done 8-9 houses similar to mine. He seemed to know the right people to
hire to do this and that task - things like the electricity, masonry,
etc.