Dan_Musicant

On 5 Jun 2005 09:01:17 -0700, wrote:

:Couple obvious questions - What's wrong with the floor plan already in
lace, i.e., the original design ? Can you figure out what that was and
:go with that ?

There's nothing wrong with the current floor plan. I think that the GC
(and the engineer) wanted me to have the floor plan so the engineer can
make the right decisions about how to design the foundation rebuild.

This was all done about 4 years ago. A while later I got a few tentative
ideas about how I'd like to tear out a wall or two upstairs to help
resolve certain problems - specifically there's several upstairs rooms
that are tiny. Tearing out a wall or two will allow joining rooms -
making two rooms into one room. That would make it possible to have a
master bedroom that makes sense, and possibly have the upstairs bathroom
have a door going directly to that bedroom. I figure that the floor plan
will be helpful if not instrumental in making those alterations happen.

I don't believe that a floor plan exists for the house, that is to say,
one on paper.
:
:Second, how much money are you going to sink into this and is it worth
:it ? If you buy a house for a 100k, put 100k into it, and in the end
:have a house that's worth 150k, you're upside-down. I should know !

Sorry that didn't work out for you! I figure that I will get my money
out if and when I sell, but don't know that for certain, however it
appears very very likely.
:
itto the other comments, if the house is really weird, like it was cut
:up into apartments, you want to determine in general where things
:should be and which walls are add-on, which are original. Which walls
:are load-bearing, which ones are not. Where the plumbing runs,
:especially the stacks. Precision does not matter during that part of
:the process, if you hire a guy to come in and put walls where you want
:them, you don't need exact measurements.

Yes, indeed, the house WAS cut into two apartments during WW II ! One of
the upstairs rooms was a kitchen and the sink and cupboards will have to
be ripped out. I'm hoping that that room joined with my present bedroom
will make the master bedroom, but the joining wall would have to come
out.
:
:Your bigger issue is the foundation and the roof, the floor plan is
:secondary at best to getting that big stuff squared away.

OK, so I guess the floor plan doesn't have to be precise. That'll make
the job easier. I'm wondering if I should use software or just work it
up on paper.

Thanks! Your comments seem very appropriate.