Percival P. Cassidy

On 06/05/05 12:50 pm Percival P. Cassidy tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

On 06/05/05 12:34 pm Doug Miller tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Perhaps you'd like to comment on the following, my limey friend:

'Each of Britain's 24 million vehicles would be tracked by satellite if
a variable "pay-as-you-drive" charge replaces the current road tax.'

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...p?story=644303

At least they're only talking about charging so much per mile at peak
times. I've driven on roads in the USA where I pay accrding to the
distance I travel at *all* times; they are called toll roads, and
include the NY Thruway and the Ohio Turnpike.

It sounds like a great idea.

You don't get it, do you?

The point isn't how much they charge, or how they compute it, but
rather that the national government would be tracking the location and
movements of every private vehicle 24x7.

If the Brits see nothing wrong with that... well, that's why we're
citizens, and they're subjects.

When I lived in NT and had an EZPass transponder on my vehicle, various

Make that "When I lived in *NY* and . . . "

govt. authorities could track my movements: the thing worked not only in
NY but in NJ and MA as well.

Brits may complain about the particular government that's in power at
any given time, but (unlike many Americans, ISTM) they do not usually
fear government as an institution as such.

Sure, George III was a bad ruler, but he would have died in due course.

Perce