Default Electrical Quesitons

In article , Charles Middleton
writes
I was expanding some plug sockets from singles to doubles in my house the
other day and noticed the following. I powered off what I though was the
upstairs sockets and set about testing them to make sure that they were not
live before I comenced work.

It was at this point that I noticed that my downstairs sockets where off as
well. To cut a long story short it seems that the house is wired up
basically with two MCB's - one for the kitchen and one for the rest of the
house. Not sure at this stage of the rating. So all of the sockets in the
house less the kitchen are wired onto one ring circuit.

That's common.
There is regulation to minimise the effects of interruption of supply to
a circuit. Just interpretation what disruption is caused and how crtical
it is to have a circuit trip. You wouldn't want to have the washing
machine stop 3 minute before the end of a cycle because something
somewhere else had tripped a breaker. Perhaps consider more ring mains
and/or washing m/c circuit fridge freezer circuit.

Remove all Zeds in e-mail address to reply.