Earl Kella

wrote in message
ps.com...

Earl Kella wrote:
"Earl Kella" wrote in message
More about my loft conversion / survey report (see above threads).....

In investigating my suspicions that the loft conversion isn't supported

well
enough and not having these details picked up by a full building survey,

have just quizzed some neighbours about the previous owners.

It appears that THEY did the conversion themselves, maybe some 13 or 14
years ago. However we have a letter from their solicitor stating that

the
loft conversion was there when they moved in in 1991 and the owners

previous
to them had done no works in the previous 4 years.

I have just visited the Velux website to find that they have a serial

number
for all of their windows. I've sent them an email with this windows

details
so hopefully this should ascertain when the window was fitted - and hence
the loft conversion date.

have
a bad feeling the previous sellers have no money to compensate me so I

could
end up with no financial recompense. I am sure that most people would
therefore keep quiet about this and hope a new buyer accepts the
documentation I have showing the structure to be around 20 years old.

I think that does justify me misrepresenting when I sell - either I take a
hit now for someone elses bad workmanship or someone else does. All
hypothetical anyway until I get complete details about any extra works
needed. I think the £350 I've been quoted for a structural engineer to
inspect is worth it.

I have had a surveyor previously inspect the building when we bought and
nothing was mentioned - I now however don't even trust his judgement as

I've
had the house in bits over the last 2 years.

Will keep you posted,

Regards

Earl

BTW, how many other DIY-ers out there have not told buyers about works

they
have carried out - many I am sure as it's part of the game........

If I buy a used anything, it's up to me to check what I'm buying (and
the correctness of any bonus documentation). I don't see why that
should be different with a house. I'd say the onus is on the anus who
did your survey to give you back his fee. Otherwise I can only say that
I am amazed at how quickly this has become a nation of whiners feeding
beurocrats. Go try live in a shanty town or tent and get hardened up.
If you're really that worried about something that hasn't fallen down
in 13 years you'd be much better off fixing what worries you and
forgetting it quickly rather than spending months of aggravation giving
your money to leechy penpushers. It's for that reason that I am buying
a place abroad where nobody gives a **** and "part P" means you haven't
finished weeing.

That is indeed what I am also considering - if all I need do is put an RSJ
in for support then I shall do it, however I also feel a need to get the
lying *******s back who did the work in the first place - if I can get the
proof I shall do this. If I have no proof then I also can't truthfully say
anything about the conversion to a prospective buyer.

Earl