Soup

Default Removing mildew from Silicone sealant?

Soup popped his head over the parapet,saw what was going on and said

If I need to reseal (aaargh!) any advice on removing the old?

Have no idea how easy sealant will be to remove from your
shower tray. Generally when I take any of (listen to me you'd
think I did it all day everyday)(have taken it from the bathroom
floor and window surrounds) it comes off relatively easily on two
non porous surfaces it SHOULD just peel off.

Took the 'old' sealant from around a window frame mechanically
(it all just ripped of in one long strip). Put new sealant on the
window, but it wasn't on properly, wouldn't come off mechanically
(some of the wallpaper was coming with it) so tried a proprietary
"silicone eater" was VERY disappointed with the results ended up
painting over it (non prantable silicone) so fully expect the paint to
'flake' off, hopefully the paint basically has a key on the paper and
dries covering the silicone rather than trying to bond to the silicone.
The silicone eater does the job but expect to have to apply it a few
times and any closely surrounding decoration to not survive.
The silicone eater is not as miraculous as the instructions would
have you believe.After using any sort of silicone remover this must
be neutralised before resealing, the brand I was using recommends
a wipe down with mentholated spirits once the silicone eater has
done it's work.
YMMV
--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \