JB

Hi Grant,

I can't offer you any help whatsoever. I was hoping you can direct me to a
source of information on how the process of EDR works and how to set up my
own system.

Thanks.

Joe..

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I've been doing EDR (electrolytic derusting) for a few weeks now. Today I
went to the legendary Midway Swap Meet for the last time, as this place
which has been open since the demise of the once-ubiquitous drive-in
theaters, is closing for good, to be replaced by a (shudder) Lowe's. There
were lots of people at the swap meet and I found a nice DC ammeter for a
real nice price. I got home and headed down to the bucket where I'm
EDR'ing my way through six old Ridgid pipe threading dies. I wired in the
ammeter and discovered I wasn't running nearly enough current, only about
0.7 amps. I remembered the conventional wisdom which was to move the
electrodes closer to the workpiece until the amperage was about right. I
tried that. You know, it just didn't work for me. I didn't find much
variation at all in actual amperage as I varied the electrode distance.
Then I tried adding more washing soda. As I'd sort of expected, the
current went right up. At a tad over 2 amps it's sizzling right nice now.

So my question is, to the person or persons who wrote that if the amperage
is too low, vary the distance, are you *sure* this worked for you? I am a
total believer in experimental science, and the only procedure that is
believable is one that's reproducible.

Grant