D Murphy

Errol Groff wrote in
:

We are going to be in Illinois week after next for the CNC workshop.
Any thought about "things to see" on the way home to Connecticut?

I plan to stop at the Air force Museum in Dayton OH but other than
that I am open to suggestions.

My wife loves Christmas stores so any tips for those would be great.
We visited Bronners Christmas Wonderland while at NAMES in April so
that one is covered. http://neme-s.org/NAMES_2005/NAMES_1.htm

If your planning on taking the southern route through Dayton, your wife
might enjoy visiting Longaberger. http://www.longaberger.com

Also in the Columbus, OH. area http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/index.asp

Also along that route you could stop in at the Indianapolis Motor
Speedway.

If you feel inclined to head North for the ride back and you have some
time you could check out Rock Island Arsenal:
http://www.ria.army.mil/sites/local/

A bit out of the way but a place I really like to wander around:
http://www.irm.org/ (Illinois Railway Museum) They have operating steam
locomotives and loads of other very cool and rare stuff. Don't miss the
machine shop where volunteers machine parts for restorations.

I also like this place a lot http://www.volocars.com/
Most all of the cars are for sale, so the collection changes all of the
time. Sometimes the place is packed with rare cars, other times it's
barely worth the price of admission. They also have an antique mall on
the grounds.

Here is a Christmas shop in Geneva Il. http://www.kriskringlehaus.com/
Geneva is a nice little town with quite a few little stores and shops.
http://www.genevachamber.com/shopping.html

If you can take the time you really should visit the city of Chicago. The
museums alone are worth the time. Especially the Museum of Science and
Industry. http://www.msichicago.org/ Then there is the Field, the Adler
Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, and the Art Museum. Phew! If you wnat to see
a very cool, very large metal sculpture being constructed visit Millenium
Park and check out the "bean", actually it's called "Cloud Gate" see it
he http://www.millenniumpark.org/artand...loud_gate.html
If you want to see what a 1/2 billion dollar city park looks like, make
sure you go there.

I would leave the city via I-90 and take the Chicago Skyway into Indiana.
It will provide you with a gritty view of all the old steel mills and
decrepit factories.

Taking I-80 back to Ct. you could stop at Amish Acres in Nappanee IN.
http://www.amishacres.com/ Too bad you won't be around for the arts and
crafts festival. I've gone to that and it's worth a day.

You might try giving Southbend Lathe Co. a call and see if they will give
you a tour.

Eastward from there there is a whole lot of nothing until you get to
Toledo. If your timing is right you might catch a Toledo Mud Hens
baseball game.

After Toledo the next attraction is Cedar Point:
http://www.cedarpoint.com/
If you like Roller Coasters you have just found your Mecca.

Onward to Cleveland, there is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
http://www.rockhall.com/

After Cleveland I can't think of too much other than the Little League
Museum in Williamsport, PA.

Anyway, I hope you find something to do in all of this. Have a nice trip,
drive safe and try not to lose your mind in PA. I've made this trip a
bunch of times and PA. always seems endless.

--

Dan