Sparks

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Sparks" writes:
I have installed a complete irrigation system in my garden, but
would like to use grey water if possible. (Water would be from the
bath, shower and hand basin)

Am I allowed to use it in my own garden?

Yes, unless you become subject to a drought order (in which
case the fact that you have used it once already still doesn't
give you the right to use it to water the garden).

So if there was a "hosepipe ban" I couldn't use this water?
Seems a bit daft to me!!

Would using rain water, collected from the roof also be prohibited?

If so, do I need to do anything to the water to make it suitable for
use?

I don't think so. Make sure you don't wash anything more than
regular soap/shampoo/washing up liquid into it though.

It's just the bathroom, so normal bathroom usage would apply, not things
like Kitchen sink, washing machine or dishwasher

I was thinking of installing a small tank with another pump (with a
float switch) that would also feed into the 1400L containers, but
was unsure if the water needed some kind of treatment to remove soap
etc.?

No, but I would avoid storing grey water -- use it ASAP.
Tanks which get lined with soap and fat scum are going
to start smelling.

The water containers are made of black plastic, and have lids, so this
shouldn't pose a problem really, I suppose I will only turn on the grey
water pump on when there is limited rainfall (and maybe only when the
storage containers are a certain % full/empty

There may be some plants which don't like it (soap tends to
be alkali).

But would the concentration of soap really pose a problem?
would the average bath/shower/wash contain enough soap to cause any
problems?

I have used it on my lawn without any problems
in the past. I might hesitate to use it on plants grown for
eating.

Not a problem now, we don't grow anything for eating (well, apart from some
herbs)

Sparks...