Earl Kella

"Earl Kella" wrote in message
More about my loft conversion / survey report (see above threads).....

In investigating my suspicions that the loft conversion isn't supported

well
enough and not having these details picked up by a full building survey, I
have just quizzed some neighbours about the previous owners.

It appears that THEY did the conversion themselves, maybe some 13 or 14
years ago. However we have a letter from their solicitor stating that the
loft conversion was there when they moved in in 1991 and the owners

previous
to them had done no works in the previous 4 years.

I have just visited the Velux website to find that they have a serial number
for all of their windows. I've sent them an email with this windows details
so hopefully this should ascertain when the window was fitted - and hence
the loft conversion date.

a bad feeling the previous sellers have no money to compensate me so I could
end up with no financial recompense. I am sure that most people would
therefore keep quiet about this and hope a new buyer accepts the
documentation I have showing the structure to be around 20 years old.

I think that does justify me misrepresenting when I sell - either I take a
hit now for someone elses bad workmanship or someone else does. All
hypothetical anyway until I get complete details about any extra works
needed. I think the £350 I've been quoted for a structural engineer to
inspect is worth it.

I have had a surveyor previously inspect the building when we bought and
nothing was mentioned - I now however don't even trust his judgement as I've
had the house in bits over the last 2 years.

Will keep you posted,

Regards

Earl

BTW, how many other DIY-ers out there have not told buyers about works they
have carried out - many I am sure as it's part of the game........