dmc

In article ,
Ellis Greensitt wrote:
Im considering a loft conversion.
Can anyone help me out with the following questions :-

1: What building regulations apply to this ?

lots. Ring your local council.

2: If Building Regs are not complied with, is this illegal ?

yes

3: What other regulations are in force.

fire regs are pretty strict if this would add a third floor to a 2 storey
house. Mayb others

4: Will I struggle to sell the house if building regs are not complied with

Yes. I know of two people who had big problems with this (they were buying
places with diy loft conversions - ended up having to strip the lot out before
the mortgage was fully released).

5: In general, do loft conversions provide full payback on house value ?

Around this area (Folkestone so SE) they do appear to if done well. Adding a
bedroom and another bath/shower room does seem to be worthwhile.

6: Is planning permission required ?

Sometimes. If you just want Velux style windows to the rear then probably not.
If you want velux to the front then possibly. If you want a dormer then
more likely. If you are in a conservation area then definately. Again, give
the council a ring.

We are planning to get our loft converted next year so are just starting to
think about this - answers given are my current understanding. I'm interested
to see the replys to this thread...

Darren