Vortex

Default Solar Hot Water and Heatbanks

Hi,

Later this year I will be installing a heatbank (see www.heatweb.com if you
don't know what I'm on about) in my home. It will replace my indirect hot
water cylinder.

I also intend to have a "secondary solar loop" in the heatbank so I can
experiment with solar panels....because I have a south facing pitch on my
roof I reckon I can potentially enjoy solar hot water - most of the time -
for half the year.

I want to understand the practicality and costs associated with using
"vacuum heat collecting tube" based solar panels. (This web site says a lot
more http://www.consolchinese.com/old/english/sun01.htm ).

Despite extensive Googling I have not been able to find objective technical
and pricing information for self-install solar panels in the UK.

I have numerous questions such as:

* What is the typical heat output/square metre in various weather
conditions.
* Is it normal to use pressurised operation (as in unvented CH)?
* What happens if things overheat? I don't think I want my heatbank to
boil.
* Do these things deliver usable energy on sunny Winter days?
* What should I expect to pay?

Any pointers? Any recommendations? Anyone done this?

BTW I've already calculated that I'm unlikely to get payback (ie fuel
savings paying for my efforts) in a realistic timeframe. This is actually
an excercise in self-gratification....and me doing my little bit towards the
Kyoto climate change treaty.

David