Joseph Gwinn

In article 7oiqe.510$fa3.319@trndny01,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

Corian is basically mineral-loaded plexiglass, so water cooling is
likely to be necessary to prevent melting.

Agreed. I'm open to any tooling ideas too... As long as I can figure out
HP, thrust, etc. I can put a greased automobile key into a chuck if that
works for the customer.

The basic concept is to keep it as cool as possible so I'm thinking that a
fluted hole saw or even spade drill-type tool would work best with water
based coolant... See below for context based on a discussion with a DuPont
person...

As discussed below, if it's only for one or two holes, just cut it dry
but real slow. If it's more than a few holes, set up a water flood.
Don't know that I would use any oil, even soluable oil. Many plastics
will craze some time later.

I would suggest going to the
local Corian dealer or the DuPont website (http://www.corian.com) and
looking for the inevitable application notes on such things. Dupont
wants people to know how to use Corian, so they'll buy lots of it.

Ya know sumthin... I just tried that. Their web page:

http://www.corian.com/corian/a/en/c/..._Us/index.html

Doesn't work... And when I called the number listed, the representative
refused to take any technical details on the job unless I gave her a project
name. I made one up and she basically refused to talk to me since she knew
I was making a name up... Perfect example of what I call "urban attitude"
and a really bad first impression. I'm gonna call again right now and see
if I get less of an idiot on the phone... Just a sec...

You know, I never called them, always doing my research on their
website. It sounds like they are protecting their authorized
dealer-fabricators. The other fear is that untrained people will have
problems getting the details right, and will give the material a bad
name. I doubt that urban versus rural has anything to do with it.

Okay... Redemption. Received the name of a gentleman who represents DuPont
on "special" Corian jobs. He was able to tell me it machines just like hard
maple or hickory (too bad I can't use it in my smoker...)

It expands when worked and heated so keeping everything slow and cool is a
must or use water-based flood coolant. It is not abrasive at all - about
the same as talc.

So... Now the big question is... Will this work... I'm thinking 400 RPM,
1.5 HP, .010 feed and around 300 lbs. thrust...

I would just have at some scrap pieces. I don't think it's all that
difficult to machine.

I'll let you know! And if anyone needs lots of Corian or tech answers
regarding working Corian, I've got just the contact for you... The guy is
great. Just eMail me off-line.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022