BigWallop

Default central heating in 1-bed flat

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news:59xoc.54$74.0@newsfe1-win...
"sPoNiX" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:18:44 +0000 (UTC), Andy wrote:

hi all,

I've recently bought a 1-bed basement flat (kitchen, living room,
bedroom, small bathroom) which has electric (not storage) heaters -
the bathroom heater is just a fan heater mounted on the wall. This all
makes the air very dry not to mention eating electricity and notbeing
very efficient. The hot water is heated in a big boiler but rarely
gives enough hot water to fill a bath. What I want to do is take the
bath out and replace it with a good shower and hopefully make some
space by taking out the boiler as well (seeing as it isn't much good).

What can I replace this system with? I'd like something more
economical and the ability to control it centrally but I don't know
whether to have the heating separate from the shower.

any advice? what sort of cost am I looking at for any solutions?

I have used this type of thing before now with great success:

http://www.electroheatplc.co.uk/

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...c_Boilers.html

Dosn't this still require a hot water cylinder (whjat the OP calls a
'boiler') to provide DHW?

They can be controlled by their own internal flow switch to give instant hot to any
appliance or heating system they are attached to. They're basically a slightly bigger
version of an instant electric shower heater so they are very slim line and not as big
as a normal gas boiler with heat exchanger and a tank inside it. On heating systems
they only run when the water has cooled enough to bring the thermostat back on-line
and they work best on well lagged systems. But I suppose that's also true for gas
heated systems as well. They're quite economical to use really.

I suppose they could be controlled from a storage tank and thermostat configuration as
well but I've never had the opportunity to try that with them yet.