Dave Hinz

On 9 Jun 2005 20:46:57 -0400, DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 02:52:22 -0400, JohnM wrote:
And when you click on his link (or answer his post) he gets another.
Then you get the spam..

How do you propose he harvests your email address from a hit on a
webserver, exactly? I've seen an awful lot of webserver logs, and never
seen an email address of the person hitting the site in there.

If your web browser has never been set up for e-mail. it
shouldn't even *know* your e-mail address.

A web browser is not an email client is not a newsreader. Any app which
pretends to be all 3 will do all 3 poorly.

But -- if it has, and if your browser has JavaScript enabled,
the web server (or a JavaScript served by it) can ask for the
information, and write it to a file. Probably the same could be done
with Java or Active-X if you have those enabled.

So, this would be a cookie fetch type thing? Someone drops a "this
guy's email address is (blah)" cookie, that others can fetch? Devious.

Since I use my web browser only for web browsing, *never* for
e-mail, I've never set up the e-mail part, so I don't worry about that.

I'm no longer surprised by the things people do to their computers out
of ignorance/trust/laziness. So while I'd never think of doing it
either, I can see your point.

But -- I haven't seen the start of this thread. It is either
too old and has expired already (over 30 days on *my* server), or it was
posted on or through news servers which I block.

Ah, you block by newsserver as well? Would you be so kind as to mail me
a list to use as a starting point? I'm blocking all crossposts to 3 or
more groups, which helps immensely, but killfiling by newsserver of
origin makes a lot of sense too.

Dave