David

I agree with everything you've stated here with one notable exception.
One, given sufficient need, can always re-do the edge banding. With the
cabinets remaining affixed to the wall, no less. Not that I've had a
need, but it's quite doable.

Dave

John B wrote:

G'day John,

In a workshop environment there is NO WAY I'd use melamine edge strips
to cover the ends as these will invariably chip and look tatty after a
period. If you do not wish to edge with timber my next recommendation is
painted edges as these can be touched up in the event of them becoming
damages or better still a spirit based wood stain which will strike deep
into the timber and a couple of coats of finish on the top.
Hope this helps
regards
John