Upscale

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

When Home Depot first moved into Toronto, they took over Aikenhead's.
Same problem - a supplier of all sorts of neat stuff replaced by a
supplier of the lowest common denominator.

Aikenheads on Temperance street in downtown Toronto. Man, does that bring
back memories. Bought my first tablesaw there when I was 18 years old. 10
years later when I wound up in a wheelchair, I was still able to get to all
five storeys of that building because they had an elevator. Back then, that
was unusual for a low rise building. I spent countless hours buying and
window shopping at Aikenheads. Went down there one time after a three month
absence and found that the building was demolished. Man was I crestfallen.
Didn't find out until 6 months later that Home Depot bought them out.