Prometheus

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:12:46 -0400, "George" wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
Yep. There are an awful lot of old freight lines that are used for
nothing more than parking lots for rusty old boxcars around here. I'm
sure there are plenty right-of-ways if anyone cared to set up a
system. I imagine there are all sorts of tax incentives for commuter
rail that would pay for the upgrades as well.

You hadn't noticed the change from Wisconsin Central to CP?

Nah, they all look the same to me.

Just-in-time inventory and the decline in bulk products from extractive
industries like the mines they wouldn't open at Lac De Flambeau have pretty
much done for rail traffic. That, and, as I mentioned, right-of-way
improvements require upgrade to the new standards, while repair just fixes
existing damage.

Well sure, it's an investment. There are a lot of barriers to parks
as well, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have any.

As for commuter rail, unless you plan a forty year legal fight lead time,
you're not getting right-of-way into the city.

You may be right- but would that stop a bus terminal located next to
the city from filling the gap? I know a lot of people don't like the
idea, but it's really not that difficult or inconvenient to use public
transportation.