JohnM

RoyJ wrote:
Don't feel too bad. We alternate between TIG and MIG on race car frames.
When we MIG, it takes an hour of test runs by my best welder to get just
the right voltage, wire speed, and welder confidence. Then he does a
whole frame in less than a couple of hours. No grinding, minimal
spatter, nice tight beads.

Yeah, don't get discouraged.. I've found that, when acquiring a new
skill, there's a series of peaks and valleys (if you will).. You'll do
good, and then maybe not so good, keep going and you're doing better.
It's the part of the brain that learns stuff like walking fighting for
control with the conscious part.. Stick with it, that's all you can do.
Consistency is the ticket, watch for what you do that's right and try to
knock off what's wrong.

Listen to the arc, that tells you much in addition to what you see.
Watch your stickout, that's important- especially if the machine isn't
particularly forgiving.

Most of all, don't forget to have fun.

John

Jim Newell wrote:

I have been practicing welding with my MIG. I think I am getting good
welds. I beat on them, and they don't seem to break.

What I am bugged about is the "fit and finish" of the process. I see
sites that show different welds, and they look great. For example I
saw a Ducati motorcycle frame that claimed to be MIG welded, and it
was superb....apparently no grinding or other cleanup.

Is it just a lack of skill on my part, or is there always a ton of
cleanup, grinding, etc...to get a nice looking fit and finish?